The leaves have fallen, the temperature is dropping and soon, everything will be blanketed in snow. Here are a few delicious crockpot recipes to keep you warm this winter.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew
- 4 large carrots, diagonally sliced into 2-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- Combine the carrots, turnips, onion, garlic, tomatoes (with their liquid), broth, salt, cumin, and pepper flakes in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours.
- Add the zucchini and chickpeas and cook 1 hour longer on low.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef Tacos with Cabbage and Radish Slaw
- 3 pounds beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chopped canned chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 1⁄3 medium cabbage)
- 4 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt, pickled jalapeño peppers, and hot sauce, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, toss together the beef, onion, garlic, chipotles, oregano, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook until the beef is very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 ½ to 4 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- Twenty minutes before serving, heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, radishes, cilantro, lime juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Wrap the tortillas in foil and bake until warm, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the beef to a medium bowl (reserve the cooking liquid) and shred, using 2 forks. Strain the cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into the bowl with the beef and toss to combine.
- Fill the tortillas with the beef and slaw. Serve with the sour cream, jalapeños, hot sauce, and lime wedges.
Slow Cooker White Bean Soup with Andouille and Collards
- 1 pound dried white beans (such as cannellini or great Northern)
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch collard greens, stems discarded and leaves cut into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Olive oil and bread sticks, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the beans, sausage, onion, celery, and thyme. Add the broth and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook until the beans are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- Twenty minutes before serving, discard the thyme stems, add the collard greens, cover, and cook until the greens are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the vinegar and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and serve with the bread sticks.
Happy Holidays Everybody !!